The municipality of Castel di Lucio has formalised its membership of the Bella Sicilia tourist circuit.
The first strategic rule of good marketing,” says Michele Isgrò, regional coordinator of the circuit, “is to always propose yourself. The municipalities of Bella Sicilia seem to have taken every cue from it. Certainly our initiative is developing in the most difficult period ever. Fortunately, the municipalities we selected are not demoralised and are focusing on cohesion as a winning promotional force“.
Among the curiosities, we like to remember the “Quarantuni” on Carnival Sunday, when the church is decorated with arches of orange fruit covering the ceilings, walls and altars in a very evocative atmosphere
Castel di Lucio is an ancient village on the border between the province of Messina and the provinces of Palermo and Enna. It is located in the Nebrodi mountains at an altitude of about 750 metres.
It is a fairy-tale village where it is possible to breathe pure and healthy air and relive the ancient customs of the agricultural and zootechnical tradition. In the village there are many small churches that preserve a precious artistic heritage. The artisan practice of stonemasons carving stone to make portals and fountains and iron forging also survive.
A visit to “Il labirinto di Arianna” (Ariadne’s Labyrinth) by Italo Lanfredini, an evocative work from Fiumara d’Arte, is certainly not to be missed. The work recalls classical culture and Greek mythology. The labyrinth is actually a large womb that can be accessed to enter a path of self-discovery and then be reborn.
The Norman Castle, a fortress built in the 13th century by the Ventimiglia family, and the Chiesa Madre, the main church in the village built in 1499, are interesting sights. Inside are works by Bonifazio, Antonino Gagini (1544) and Giovanbattista Li Volsi (1607).